100 Voices is Better Then None

Chloe Tesaury drops the mic

Student voices have been key in our school’s development, without our voices – our school would be running very differently. Student voices come in many forms, ranging from The High, to the student council, both opportunities for all students to present ideas for change. Through these representatives, students are able to communicate their opinions on topics to teachers and staff and can come to an agreement about important matters.

Someone who is well versed in these types of staff and student discussions, the previous High School Principal Mr. Ivett. He experienced the change of The High and Stuco firsthand and everything it offered to students and school. When Mr. Ivett went to school there was no system of students telling their teachers their opinion on school. Having communication between the two primary bodies of a school, brings advantages to both sides:students get to have a say in how the school works and staff are better able to serve the student body. For instance, many students were annoyed with how wacky week is non-competitive, they can easily speak to The High or Stuco, who are able to present this idea to staff in an unbiased way.  Mr. Ivett mentioned that, with great power comes great responsibility. Members of both curriculum have a responsibility to discuss both sides of any topic and to use reliable sources when gathering their information. Mr. Ivett exaggerates on the idea that the “truth is uncomfortable and controversial”,but both do a great job at delivering it in an unbiased way.

Being a member of The High for almost a year now, and being able to directly be in the room with all the journalists, graphic designers, I have seen how they shine light on education. 

I have seen clearly how The High and Stuco have encouraged student voices and taken action in this. One of the ways Stuco and The High have helped me personally is by shining light on the mental health of students. Before they discussed this issue, it was spoken about in a  very negative and abnormal way. However, now because it’s spoken about in well-being, homeroom, etc. I find that it’s much more normalised and stereotypes have been destroyed. 

The importance of a student voice helps grow engagement and shape positive relationships. When students believe they are respected and their opinions are valued, they feel like they belong and thrive.