Why You Should Make Exercise Part Of Your Daily Quarantine Routine
June 20, 2020
This article is for all of us with excuses to not exercise all year long. Now it’s the time to forget about them as, in this unfortunate time of quarantine, we all have spare time to invest in ourselves.
Everybody knows exercise is good for your physique, physical health, etc. But it can also improve your mental health, reduce stress, put you in a better mood, improve your sleep, boost your immunity, and much more.
Boost your immunity system: By exercising on a regular basis, you improve your lungs’ ability to distribute oxygen to your organs and strengthen your heart so it pumps more blood throughout your body. Physical activity also decreases the risk for contracting viruses, especially during COVID-19. Studies confirm that people who exercise regularly are sick less, but also for fewer days.
Reduce stress level: When you exercise, your brain produces endorphins, which work as natural “painkillers”. Endorphins are responsible for feelings of relaxation and lowering body stress hormones such as adrenaline, which we all need at the moment. Morning exercises are great because they improve your mood and increase productivity throughout the day.
Keep fit while in quarantine: In order to keep physically fit during lockdown we have to watch what we eat, skip the junk food, and try to eat a balanced diet. Without any movement throughout the day, we all are going to face many health problems so it’s imperative for you to exercise daily for at least 25-45min.
Improve your sleep: When you exercise regularly you may notice that you don’t just feel better about yourself, but your sleep improves at night too. According to The World Health Organisation, you can benefit from a more restful sleep, improve insomnia, reduce stress level, etc. Don’t forget that good quality sleep plays an important role in your immune system.
Kill some time at home: It may seem irrelevant, but we all have some spare time these days. Doing something beneficial for yourself like exercising is a great way to kill an hour per day. It can also be a good activity with your friends or family and you can challenge yourself and push for better results.
While the quarantine does not prohibit people from going outside, those who do should still practice social distancing and adhere to CDC and local government guidelines when they head out to exercise. Below are a few great ways to take advantage of the outdoors!
- Dog Walking: Our dogs still need their daily walks, and this is a great opportunity to grab some light exercise for both you and your furry friend.
- Jogging: If you never really got into jogging, now is the time to try! Jogging can be vigorous or relaxing, depending on the speed and distance you prefer. It is a great way to get active and can be extremely rewarding the more into it you get.
- Cycling: People often go cycling in groups but it is just as fun cycling solo. Like running, it can be a very rewarding setting (then beating) personal distance goals.
Things are a bit different for people who prefer to work out indoors. Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, we don’t have access to a gymso we have to improvise. Fortunately, thanks to the internet, it is now easier than ever to work out at home using resources you can find for free online.
Whether you prefer going along with a YouTube video or following instructions from a Facebook or Instagram influencer, there is something for everyone. Here are a few popular exercises that you can easily do at home, even with limited space.
- Yoga: There are plenty of online yoga classes, both free and paid. Some YouTube channels even offer complete playlists for beginners so this is a great time to start something new. If you have never done yoga before it is good to know that there are many variations that differ in intensity. For example, yin yoga is slower and focuses on holding stretches, while vinyasa and ashtanga yoga is more intense.
- Pilates: Pilates is another very popular home exercise with plenty of online resources available. This form of exercise focuses on creating flexibility, balance, and a better posture by strengthening muscles. Again, there are many variations to Pilates and sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between Pilates and general aerobics and fitness exercises. So, browse around for different online instructors or fitness plans and choose the one that best fits you.
- Steps: Have stairs in the house or apartment building? You don’t need a fitness step to get your steps in. If there are steep steps in a public area where you live, you can make use of them, too. Combining this with your routine jog will make for a great workout!
The Internet is full of fitness videos, apps, and guides, so no excuses!